Hello friends 🙂
If you come from a large family, you will most likely know that when you go out in a group together, you are going to turn heads. It is common to have people point and stare. I find it awkward and uncomfortable sometimes, but I understand that people are generally curious about anything unusual. Big families are unusual in this day and age! I have learned to take it in my stride and simply smile and move on. Unless, of course, the bystander comes over and starts to ask questions, which does happen from time to time.
Below are 10 common questions our family often gets asked.
- “Is it because you are religious? I mean, are you Catholic or Mormon?” – I have often been asked this question! Umm, well my friend, not all large families are big because of religious reasons. Some of us just like being surrounded by cute kids! For many families, this question has both a yes and no answer. We are not all Mormon or Catholic either.
2. “How do you manage?” – This question is often directed at my mom. She always responds by saying that the more kids you have, the easier it becomes. This is true in a way, because the older kids always help out with the younger ones. Also, mom never has to spend all day entertaining the younger kids because they play with their siblings. Children in large families are rarely in need of a playmate!
3. “How do you do it financially?” – We do it just like you do it! Lots of hard work and sweat like the rest of the population. We also trust God and He takes care of the rest! 🙂 I will say, big families are generally experts on saving and buying when things are on special. Big families often do hand-me-downs and teach their kids not to complain when they don’t get what they want instantly.
4. “How do you get on with so many siblings? I can’t stand mine!” I feel sorry for the person who asks me this. Really, I do! I am best friends with all my siblings. Yes, we argue – what siblings don’t? – but we make up and move on. If you can’t learn to love just one sibling, how will you manage in the big wide world where there are thousands of personalities that are bound to clash with yours?
5. “What vehicle do you drive?” – A big one! Most large families have to drive a large vehicle to cart all their kids around.
6. “Have you ever left a kid behind in a public place?” – My dad does a head count when we go places so it’s not easy to leave a kid behind. Once we left my brother at a friend’s house after visiting with them, but that was only once!
7. “Are you done having kids yet?” Maybe, maybe not…..its really none of your business!!
8. “How do you give each child individual attention?” – This one is hard to answer because I am not sure how my parents manage this one. I think that as their children, we know that when we need to talk, they will be there for us. If we want their attention, we know we can find them and they will gladly stop and chat to us. It just works. We have never felt deprived of attention.
9. “Are they all yours?” – Most people are really asking if we are a blended family with this question and it always ends up with a long explanation of how many are adopted and how many are biological. Sigh….
10. “Do you all share the same mom and dad?” Ahh….yes! Just because we have large family does not mean my dad has two wives. Just saying. 😉
Comment below your thoughts! xx